On The Menu:Investing In The Future Of SustainabilityPurchase Tickets
Chef Linda Hampsten Fox’s new restaurant, The Bindery, is located at 1817 Central in LoHi (Lower Highland) in a new construction development by Southern Land Company. By investing in sustainable technology that will save money for her business in the long run, she is contributing to the LoHi neighborhood’s new designation as a “Sustainable Neighborhood.”
She saw the challenge of a new build as an opportunity to do better, “We received a space with dirt on the ground, not a single window or HVAC unit or any plumbing in place. Every decision needed to be made about how to construct this restaurant which became an opportunity to look at sustainability. Denver had released new energy codes and guidelines and beyond that, I thought there was more we could do.”
To go beyond those basic guidelines, she brought in kitchen designer and equipment suppliers Smith and Greene, to source the right equipment with the best sustainability potential:
- Protect All recycled vinyl back of house floors that improve worker fatigue and decrease breakage of dish and glassware.
- Smart Heat radiant heat on the perimeter of the restaurant via an earth thermal storage bed.
- A Champion dishwasher that captures all the steam and heat of the prior cycle.
- Moroccan Tadelakt plaster which releases less CO2, stays cleaner and resists mold, is easily recyclable and biodegradable and is lime-based and 100% natural.
- An energy efficient Miwe German bakery deck oven.
Her GC Armory Narvaes of Narvaes Western will be on hand to talk about the construction details.
|ABOUT THE PRESENTERS|
|Linda Hampsten Fox is the owner and chef of The Bindery, Ltd. She apprenticed in Switzerland, Italy and France and has worked with private clients such as Dr. Jane Goodall, actor Michael York, and Nancy Pelosi. She helped to create a cooking school in San Jose del Cabo and has worked to support various local foundations through her culinary expertise.|
|Amory Narvaes is the founder of Narvaes Western, LLC. – a full service, design-build, commercial construction firm. He has managed a wide range of construction projects including: ground up commercial, tenant improvements and renovations (retail, office, restaurant), historic renovation, residential renovation & development.|